Outreach Committee: No preconditions for the upcoming national dialogue
SANA’A, June 10 - The Communication Committee, headed by Dr. Abdulkarim Al-Eryani, said that no preconditions will be allowed in the National Dialogue, stating, "Personal conditions are unacceptable in the forthcoming National Dialogue."
During the press conference which the Communication Committee held on Saturday in Sana'a, Al-Eryani indicated that no conditions had been imposed on dialogue with the Houthis in northern Yemen. He stressed that the Committee will accept no obstructions to the dialogue.
Some opposition figures in Yemen have shown a firm stance against military commanders whose stubborn refusal to vacate their posts may derail the Dialogue. Regarding this, Al-Eryani said, "There can be no hindrance to the National Dialogue. Reorganization of the army under one leadership, and not simply its reshuffling, is a fundamental condition in line with the Gulf Initiative."
According to Al-Eryani, on June 20 there will be a meeting of overseas opposition figures in Cairo in a preparation for the National Dialogue, indicating that he will be in charge of corresponding with Ali Salem Al-Beed, the former president of south Yemen, for the meeting. Al-Beed, however, declined to respond.
"Dialogue is open for all, with no conditions. Anyone who accepts dialogue and refuses violence is welcome to take part in the National Dialogue,” Abdulwahab Al-Anisi, General Secretary of the Islah party and a member of the Communication Committee, said.
Regarding the war between the tribesmen in Hajja and the Houthis, Al-Anisi said that the government has not stepped in to mediate. Consequently, problems between them have doubled. "Any suggestion which aims to help the Dialogue succeed is acceptable. Anyone who chooses dialogue must put down his weapons."
He added that the youth have the right to participate in the Dialogue either in the squares or outside them. "We have imposed no condition but one: to denounce violence."
For his part, Dr. Yaseen Saeed Noman, General Secretary of the Yemeni Socialist Party and deputy of the Communication Committee, said, "The Dialogue will aim at realizing a complete change. The Dialogue will focus on the objectives of the peaceful revolution."
Noman indicated that dialogue is the best way to avoid violent change.
He added: "If we do not seriously negotiate with each other, we are going to repeat the Sudanese scenario, or even worse. Anyone who has a non-violent political project is invited to the Dialogue."
He expressed his comfort about meeting with the Houthis, saying, "We should work together to stop Yemeni bloodshed. The opportunities for success increase when militancy decreases."
Nadia Al-Sakkaf, the spokeswoman of the Communication Committee, said that the Committee invited all political stakeholders to take part in the National Dialogue. She pointed out that the Committee is dealing with institutions, not individuals.
She told 26 September Newspaper that the Cairo meeting for will include leading opposition figures from the south, such as Ali Nasser Mohammed, Haider Abu Bakr Al-Atas, and others.
The Communication Committee is working persistently in order to unite all political stakeholders and civil society organizations for the Dialogue. On June 10, the Committee team assigned to communicate with stakeholder organizations in Sana'a held a meeting which included more than thirteen civil society organizations, workers' unions, foundations, the private sector, media, minorities organizations and research centers. The team is compromised of Dr. Al-Eryani of the General People's Congress, Abdulwahab Al-Anisi for the Islah Party, and two independent members, Nadia Al-Sakkaf and Rakiah Humaidan.
There will be a workshop on June 18 in which each segment of the stakeholder groups will be represented by a special preparatory committee. Certain members from stakeholder groups will be chosen to represent each group in the Dialogue.