Yemeni Petroleum Company workers start full-fledged strike
The strike has paralyzed all company facilities – including gas stations – throughout the country.
The strike started initially on Saturday with employees donning bands of red cloth, which developed into a partial strike in the following days. From Tuesday until the present time it has been a full-fledged strike, according to Dr. Saeed Abd Al-Mo’men, a member of the company’s workers’ union.
He added that the strike is being implemented in Sana’a and at branches in various other governorates.
The strike is intended to pressure company administration to retrieve petroleum facilities that had been illegally handed over to businessmen, according to Abd Al-Mo’men.
“We also demand an increase in our salaries and the removal of the company director, Omar Al-Arhabi, as well as corrupt managers in other governorates,” said Abd Al-Mo’men.
Mansour Al-Naqash, press officer for the company, told the Yemen Times last week that Al-Arhabi resigned from his post and had traveled to Jordan for medical treatment.
Al-Naqash also said the cabinet had formed a committee to study the situation of company workers.
However, the oil ministry on Friday denied the news of Al-Arhabi’s resignation despite confirmations of the same from company officials.
“What was reported - that Al-Arhabi resigned - is untrue; he only traveled to Jordan for treatment. When his vacation is over, he will return to his job,” read a statement released by the oil ministry.