Security forces remove armed men from newspaper offices
The armed men had been held control of the main office since early February. The order to remove the men came from new president Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
Shawqi Al-Abbasi, a journalist at Al-Thawra newspaper, told the Yemen Times that a number of police vehicles arrived before the main office, compelling the armed men to leave the building.
Al-Thawra journalist Eyad Al-Mawsami said the newspaper needs new leadership, and pointed out that employees at the newspaper have experienced financial difficulties. "The newspaper administration has been unable to provide its employees with salaries for three months," he said.
Armed men loyal to Ali Abdullah Saleh stormed into the offices in early February after the ousted president's picture had been removed from the top of the newspaper's front page
The armed men, with the backing of journalists loyal to Saleh,returned the picture of Saleh to the paper’s front page and proceeded to launch attacks on Minister of Information Ali Al-Amrani and other opposition figures.
In a released statement, the Yemeni Journalists Syndicate praised the directives issued by President Hadi, confirmed that the armed men had vacated the office, and called for journalists and employees at the newspaper to resume their jobs.
The syndicate also stated it would be in the public interest for the Al-Thawra staff to work together as a team.
The Ministry of Information had declared on Wednesday that the armed gang belonged to political and military interests, and also that the ministry wouldn’t be held responsible for the newspaper’s contents since early February.