Business for Peace Award
1543, Section: News

News

The Youth House in Al-Baida city, occupied by Houthi militants, was targeted by members of AQAP. (A-Baida news website)

Dual explosions rock Al-Baida

Published on 4 March 2015 by Ali Aboluhom in News

SANA’A, March 4—Two explosions targeted Houthis Tuesday in the districts of Al-Baida and Al-Zaher in Al-Baida governorate, leaving a total of ten people dead and 15 injured.

Houthis, GPC refuse to hold talks in Riyadh

Published on 4 March 2015 by Bassam Al-Khameri in News

SANA’A, March 4—Both the Houthis and the General People’s Congress (GPC) rejected calls by Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi on Tuesday for political talks to be held in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Al-Houthi’s announcement was mocked on social media. This photo had the following caption: “If you men keep working at it, we will have a budget surplus that rivals the budgets of all the Gulf states combined.”

Al-Thawra plagiarizes report, social media mocks Al-Houthi’s economic proposals

Published on 4 March 2015 by Khalid Al-Karimi in News

SANA’A, March 3—Following a speech by the leader of the Houthis stating precious stones can be used to save the economy without foreign aid, Houthi-controlled Al-Thawra newspaper—once run by the state—plagiarized an old report on stones by Saba News Agency.

Habra was a Houthi representative to the NDC and signed the final NDC outcomes document on behalf of the group in January 2014.

Prominent Houthi member allegedly under house arrest

Published on 4 March 2015 by Ali Ibrahim Al-Moshki in News

SANA’A, March 3—There are conflicting reports as to whether Saleh Habra, a leading figure in the Houthi movement and the former head of the group’s Political Office, is under house arrest.

A source from AQAP told the Yemen Times Al-Khalidi was released in exchange for a ransom, and that the group backed down on earlier demands for their “brothers” to be freed in Saudi Arabia.

Three years after kidnapping, AQAP releases Saudi official

Published on 2 March 2015 by Ali Ibrahim Al-Moshki in News

SANA’A, March 3—Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) released the former Saudi deputy counsel Monday morning after three years of captivity.

Islah leaders kidnapped, accused by Houthis of Al-Qaeda ties

Published on 2 March 2015 by Ali Ibrahim Al-Moshki in News

SANA’A, March 2—The Islah Party accused the Houthis on Sunday evening of kidnapping four of its leaders earlier that day. The Houthis claim the men were Al-Qaeda operatives.

Houthis, GPC: No talks outside Sana’a

Published on 2 March 2015 by Ali Ibrahim Al-Moshki in News

SANA’A, March 1—On Sunday the Houthis denied reports in local media that they had agreed to political talks outside Sana’a. The group said the move would be a waste of time.

A snapshot of Al-Bukhaiti's article (albkyty.blogspot.com)

Former Houthi spokesperson: Houthis to dissolve Islah Party

Published on 2 March 2015 by Khalid Al-Karimi in News

SANA’A, March 2—The Islah Party responded to allegations that the Houthis intend to dissolve the party, telling the Yemen Times on Monday that the Houthis do not have the legitimacy to dissolve any party.

A tribal leader in Al-Zaher district, which the Houthis entered on Feb. 17, claims the Houthis are occupying schools and giving Friday sermons at mosques.

Al-Baida tribesmen claim Houthis breaching agreement

Published on 2 March 2015 by Bassam Al-Khameri in News

SANA’A, March 1—Brief clashes broke out Saturday in Al-Zaher district of Al-Baida governorate between Houthis and tribesmen. The Houthis entered the district on Feb. 17 as part of a deal made with the tribesmen, who now claim the Houthis are violating the agreement.

Negotiations ongoing for release of kidnapped women

Published on 25 February 2015 by Ali Aboluhom in News

SANA’A, Feb. 25—Negotiations began Wednesday evening for the release of two women kidnapped in central Sana’a on Tuesday.

ADVERTISMENT