15 Houthis killed in Hajja clashes
According to the sources, four civilians were killed and dozens were left injured as Houthis desperately attempted to seize the district of Kasher and the area surrounding A’him Market.
Clashes between Houthis and armed groups aligned with the Islah Party also took place in Al-Mandla, Hajja.
Starting last Monday, Houthis have attempted to seize A’hem market because of its strategic location. They have tended to attack the market from its western side.
Houthis deny alliance with JMP Houthi spokesman Saleh Habra denied on Sunday that there is an alliance between his people and the Islah Party, which is part of the opposition Joint Meeting Parties (JMP).
Habra told the Yemen Times that while “there was a meeting between the young Houthi Ali Al-Emad, and a group of Islahis...the meeting was an informal one aimed at inhibiting any possible conflicts between Houthis and Islahis at Change Square.”
He said that the statement published on their website made it clear that it was a “reconciliation effort between both sides at Change Square in Hajja” but not an “agreement.” The statement said that the aim of the reconciliation effort was to ensure security for the country but also that it should be understood that the revolution will never end.
Salafis earlier this week assumed that the reconciliation between the Houthis and Islah – the Salafis’ steadfast enemies in terms of ideologies and religious trends – did in fact comprise an agreement.
Salafi spokesman Soroor Al-Wede’e condemned the assumed collaboration between the Houthis and the JMP, as represented by the Islah Party.
“We were shocked when we heard that there was an agreement between the Houthis and the JMP. This news made people in the governorates of Sa’ada, Hajja, Al-Jawf and Amran anxious,” said Al-Wade’e.
“The people in these places have not forgotten that during two months, 71 civilians – including women and children - were killed and injured without mercy by Houthis.”
Salafi representatives have issued demands that Houthis be tried as “war criminals for the crimes they committed.”
Southern movement refuses to participate in elections
Naser Al-Khabji, a leader for the Southern Movement, has called on the movement’s supporters to join forces in order to re-establish the People’s Democratic Republic of Yemen.
Al-Khabji told Al-Syasia Today, a Kuwaiti news website, that the Southern Movement is going to prevent presidential elections from taking place in the south. The elections are supposed to be held on February 21st.
In a Southern Movement press release published in Al-Umana newspaper on Wednesday, Al-Khabji said “Everybody should respect the will of people looking for freedom and respect the martyrs.”
He went on to express understanding for the Sa’ada issue and the six wars fought by the regime from 2004 to 2010. He said that the wars were unfair to people but that “this does not necessarily mean the Houthis don't have rights to reclaim...They are part of Yemen.”
He said that the elections are “actually an embodiment of Saleh’s regime, a theme which will repeat itself with the new government.”
Al-Khabji added, “We do not approve the government of Basundwa as it is no less worse than Saleh’s regime.”