Business for Peace Award

UN review pushed back to 28 November

Published on 13 February 2012 in News
Yemen Times Staff (author)

Yemen Times Staff


hide

SANA’A, Nov. 20 — The UN Security Council has delayed its review of resolution 2014 by another week, despite continued violence since it was issued on 21 November.

Resolution 2014 had urged President Ali Abdullah Saleh to sign the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) agreement to transfer power and end his 33-year-long rule in Yemen.

UN special envoy to Yemen Jamal Benomar has been in Yemen since November 10, on his sixth visit to persuade Saleh to leave office. While he says that compromise is possible, Saleh remains in power and his government's crackdown on protesters has continued.

The opposition National Council stated that more than 50 people have been killed since resolution 2014 was issued, including six women and 11 children, while more than 2,000 have been injured.

The UN was set to review progress in resolving the country’s 10-month-long uprising after 30 days, but now says the review will not be ready until November 28.

Although it is expected that the ruling General People's Congress will meet with the opposition Joint Meeting Parties in Riyadh this week, it remains unclear whether any agreement will be reached.

Saleh has three times claimed to be ready to sign the GCC deal, only to refuse at the last moment. However, he still claims to support a power transfer deal.

Issuing its resolution last month, the UN also expressed “serious concerns” about the growing humanitarian crisis in Yemen as water, food, fuel and job shortages worsen.

There are an “increasing number of internally displaced persons and refugees in Yemen,” the UN's resolution stated. The report added that basic supplies and social services were being interrupted and it was becoming increasingly difficult to access safe drinking water and health care.

But after 10 months of protests, the GCC deal might not be enough to satisfy protesters who have been calling for Saleh to be tried by the International Criminal Court for the deaths of more than 800 protesters.



ADVERTISMENT


Leave a Reply

Please fill the required box or you can’t comment at all. Please use kind words. Your e-mail address will not be published.

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>